Student at machine (c) Stefan Bausewein

FAQ for Students

Click on the topic your interested in:

FAQ about health, safety, hygiene

Do I have to wear a face mask at FHWS? (12 May 2022)

We recommend wearing a medical face mask within FHWS buildings. Only in courses, meetings and similar situations where the minimum distance of 1.5m cannot be maintained, wearing a medical face mask is still obligatory.

Do I have to notify FHWS that I have COVID-19?

In order to keep track of the infections at FHWS, we would highly appreciate notifications concerning your COVID infection by sending an e-mail to gesundheitsschutz[at]

What should I do if I have had contact to a person with COVID-19? (12 Apr 2022)

Regardless of whether you show any symptoms: If you learn that you have had personal contact with a person infected with the coronavirus, you should - regardless of your vaccination status - consciously reduce your contacts for about 10 days, carry out a daily self-test and also monitor whether symptoms occur. If this is not possible, e.g. because you have to attend FHWS for a reason that cannot be postponed, you should comply with the following recommendations in addition to general contact reduction and self-testing/monitoring:

  • Pay special attention to the necessary minimum distance and compliance with hygiene rules at all times.
  • Wear a well-fitting FFP2 mask whenever you come into contact with other people

We ask you to take these measures seriously and to be aware of your responsibility towards your fellow students, your colleagues, and all other FHWS members when you enter FHWS premises after close contact with an infected person.

I'm exempted from the obligation to wear a mask. What's important to know?

People are exempted from the obligation to wear a mask, if they can proove that wearing masks is not possible for them due to disabilities or illnesses with an originial medical certificate containing the complete name, birth date and the reasons for exemption.

FAQ about exams or regulations from the deviation statutes

Why are the exams at FHWS not exclusively online?

At the start of the winter semester 2020/21, the deviation statutes offered the possibility to change the exam type stipulated in the study and examination regulations. This made it possible to implement types of exams where attendance is not required (e.g. written assignments, portfolio assignments) in some modules and faculties.

In addition, the Bavarian regulation on testing remote exams issued in September 2020 was the basis to develop digital exam types which are tested for the first time also for written exams (remote exams).

Both measures have led to a reduction in the number of face-to-face exams compared to regular semesters. However, not in every degree programme and in every module is an online or remote exam useful or appropriate to determine the acquisition of competences.

Where can I find the deviation statutes for the coronavirus semesters? (14 Dec 2021)

The deviation statutes are available from the FHWS website or from the following links:

What are the changes regarding the completion period of my Bachelor's thesis? (18 Feb 2022)

Due to the special pandemic-related regulations in the Bavarian Higher Education Act (see Section 99 Bayerisches Hochschulgesetz, BayHSchG), the summer semester 2020, the winter semester 2020/21, the summer semester 2021, and the winter semester 2021/22 are generally not taken into account.

This means that when the regular completion period of five months or the reduced period of three months is determined, the semesters mentioned above result in an extension of the standard period of study.

What are the changes in the deadlines for exams?

On their FAQ page, the Department of Student Affairs (HSST) provides an overview of exam deadlines with regard to the deviation statutes for the corona semesters so far.

Questions by Internationals

Will virtual mobility be possible in the next semester (for both incoming and outgoing students)?

Which courses will be held online or in physical presence, will be communicated by your faculty.

How will the orientation phase take place?

The Orientation programme for exchange and full-time international students will take place in September (for the winter semester) or in March (for the summer semester) and will be conducted mostly online. Please have a look at the detailed schedules below. The attendance at the orientation programme is complusory for exchange and first semester full-time students.

Orientation programme exchange- and full-time students Würzburg

Orientation programme exchange students Schweinfurt

Orientation programme full-time students Schweinfurt

In our cloud we uploaded a video about health insurance, enrolment and travelling to Germany. Here you will also find an information video about legal issues and housing and an intercultural training about Germany.

Do I need a German health insurance for the enrolment?

You will need a German health insurance for the enrolment at the FHWS. Please read the information at step 5 in the list of things you have to do before your arrival at FHWS

Will it be possible to have digital exams? Or will it be possible to take digital exams?

It depends on the type of exam. If it is a written exam, it can only be done in person and on site. In order to receive the ECTS credits, you will have to make the trip to FHWS. You might take the exam in a digital format, if your lecturer offers this kind of alternative exam type. Please ask your lecturer about the exam type as early as possible.

Do I need to go into quarantine when coming to Germany?

The Federal Ministry of Health agreed on the following regulations for persons entering Germany in connection with the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2:

"By reason of provisions issued by the federal states (Laender), persons entering the Federal Republic of Germany by land, sea or air from any country or region outside of the Federal Republic of Germany and who have spent time in a risk area, at any time within the 10 days prior to entering Germany and/or are coming from a Non-EU country are in principle required to proceed directly to their own home, or other suitable accommodation, immediately after their arrival and remain there exclusively for a period of 10 days after their entry into the country (‘quarantine’). 

You will find more information to the regulations here.


You should check if your country is the list of high risk areas.

Case 1: If your country is in this list above:

1. There is a legal obligation of a compulsory Corona test upon entry to Germany (the sampling must not be older than 48 hours upon entry) or vaccination certificate or recovery certificate (from the last 6 months).

2. After arrival you have to register online at and upload your negative test or vaccination certificate or recovery certificate (from the last 6 months).
If you have vaccination certificate or recovery certificate (in the last 6 months) you are exempted from the 10 days quarantine.
If you have only a negative test, you have to stay 10 days in quarantine but you can shorten the quarantine if you make a test on the 5ths day after arrival.

After staying in virus variant areas, the quarantine lasts 14 days and premature termination of the quarantine is not possible.

In order to make a test, in Schweinfurt: you should make an appointment: 09721 9490474.
The address of the test center is Kasernenweg 1. The test is for free untill 11th of October. You should have your passport and certificate of enrolment/inviation letter.
In order to make a test in Würzburg: you can make an appointment by phone 0931/8000828 (Monday-Friday, 8:00-18:00) or book an appointment online:

You should have your passport and certificate of enrolment/inviation letter. For now, rapid tests are for free.

3. Do you know people who can buy for you food during your quarantine? If not, please contact International Office at FHWS by email to: welcome[at] You are not allowed to go for shopping, leave your room or meet friends.

Case 2: your country is not in the list:

In this case, you do not have to stay in quarantine. You only need to have negative test or vaccination certificate or recovery certificate (in the last 6 months) at the time of the entry.

What about my accommodation if I have to leave Germany earlier than intended?

Please read the terms and conditions of the rental contract carefully and observe the termination deadline.

Please be aware of the fact that once you have signed the contract and sent it back to the Studentenwerk or other student residences, you can cancel the rental contract only within the next 14 days. After this time you are bound by the contract, which means that you have to pay the rent and that you cannot withdraw from it even if e.g. come to Germany late in September or if your visa application was rejected.

The contract regulations allow you to cancel due visa rejection but if the student residence does not find a new tenant, you are bound by the contract until the end of the contract. That is why it is important to read the terms and conditions carefully before you sign a rental contract. You can find a sample of the rental contract in English on the page of the Studentenwerk

Please note: The rental contracts of the Studentenwerk are temporary contracts. These fixed-term rental contracts of the Studentenwerk can be terminated in writing with a two months' notice before the following deadlines: 31.03. or 30.09. for student residences in Würzburg 28./29.02. or 31.08. for student residences in Schweinfurt.

Will I be able to withdraw from the rental contract and will the Studentenwerk refund my rental payments if I decide to stay in at home or if I am not allowed to travel to Germany due to travel restrictions?

Please read the terms and conditions of the rental contract carefully. It will probably not be possible to withdraw from the contract without any financial loss. Please check whether it is possible to take out an insurance before you leave your home country, which will cover the financial expenses that may incur in connection with the termination of your stay in Germany (including return travel costs, etc.).  

FAQ about the course or start of the semester

Will virtual mobility be possible in the next semester (for both incoming and outgoing students)?

Which courses will be held online or in physical presence, will be communicated by your faculty.

Should I rent a room/apartment in Würzburg or Schweinfurt?

Unfortunately, we cannot answer this question, as it depends strongly on your personal situation. If you come from the immediate vicinity, then renting an apartment at the study location is probably not necessary. If you have a further journey from your home address, we would strongly recommend renting an apartment.

Basically, living at the place of study is recommended because you will have better contact to your fellow students and you will be able to participate in face-to-face events very quickly at any time.

Please also note that we cannot guarantee that every lecture will be available as a recording.

Has the academic calendar / the examination period changed?

The current version of our Academic Calendar is available from the pages of the Department of Student Affairs (HSST).

Tip: Check their page from time to time as there may be updates due to the COVID-19 situation.

Third-party information


For current information about the counselling services of the Studentenwerk, please refer to the Corona page of the Studentenwerk (only available in German).

Bavarian State Ministry of Science and the Arts

The Bavarian State Ministry of Science and the Arts has provided a special FAQs page on basic questions about operations at higher education institutions, research and cultural life (only available in German).