Professor Wolfgang Maria Fischer Foundation
The "Professor Wolfgang Maria Fischer Foundation" was established in 2002 by the married couple Maria Fischer-Flach and Prof. Wolfgang Fischer with the intention to promote the education of qualified students of the Bachelor's degree course Computer Science at the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt.
Prof. Wolfgang Fischer (1926 - 2003) was an instructor at the Balthasar-Neumann Polytechnic and at the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt from 1959 to 1985. He played a crucial part in the establishment of the degree course Computer Science in the year 1975 and, for many years, was responsible for the set-up and development of the degree course.
In 2008, Maria Fischer-Flach contributed a property as donation to the foundation. With this donation she exclusively wants to support women with a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science from FHWS who have started a Master's degree programme in Computer Science at FHWS.
Maria Fischer-Flach accompanied the public decision on the construction of a new university building at Sanderheinrichsleitenweg in Würzburg - "new home" of the degree course Computer Science - with special commitment. In 2010, she received the Medal of Merit of FHWS for extraordinary merits for FHWS.
Since its establishment in 2002, the foundation honours the best graduates of the respective year with the "Professor Wolfgang Maria Fischer-Prize". As part of the donation, scholarships for the Master's degree programme are awarded to outstanding female students.