FAQ Prospective Students
- What are the characteristic features of studying at a university of applied sciences (UAS)?
- High practical relevance through an internship semester and project work during studies
- Possibility of dual cooperative studies
- High share of lab practice and seminars
- Final theses deal with real problems from the working world
- Professors with profound professional experience
- Sessional lecturers from the professional world
- Contents are mostly taught in smaller courses like seminars
- What is the difference in studies at a university and a university of applied sciences (UAS)?
- UAS: Application-oriented studies
University: Science-oriented studies
- UAS: Cooperative doctorate/Ph.D.
- UAS: Smaller study groups
University: Focus on theory and science
- UAS: Intensive support for the students
University: Provides extensive basic knowledge
- UAS: Internship semester during studies
University: Wider range of disciplines and subjects
- UAS: Professors with profound professional experience
- UAS: Application-oriented studies
- Can I do doctoral studies at FHWS?
Having obtained a Master's degree, you can do a cooperative doctorate.
- Does FHWS offer preparatory courses before the start of studies?
Our Campus for Professional Development offers prep courses for studying at FHWS.
- Which degree programmes can I study in German and English?
The English-taught Bachelor’s programmes at FHWS are designed as twin programmes alongside the existing German-taught Bachelor’s programmes (thus we call them TWIN Programme). Those programmes let you complete your studies in both German and English. You will also do cultural and linguistic training during those TWIN Programmes.
- How many semesters do studies at an UAS take?
The standard length of a programme is seven semesters including one internship semester. An exception is our Bachelor's degree in Architecture (eight semesters) as well as the Bachelor's in Specialised Translation (six semesters).
- Which degrees can I obtain from FHWS?
You can obtain Bachelor's and Master's degrees from FHWS. Visit the overview of all degree programmes at FHWS. Further information and many videos are available from the page programme info for prospective students [German only].
- Can I transfer credits from previous studies at another higher education institution?
If you transferred from another higher education institution or from another FHWS faculty, you may be able to transfer some of the credits previously earned. Please contact the Department of Student Affairs (HSST) first. There, you will receive a form with which the respective module managers have to confirm the credit transfer. You will also find information on the page about applying for higher semesters.
- I'd like to change my degree programme. Can I apply for admission to higher semesters?
You will find information on the page about applying for higher semesters.
- Must students have health insurance?
Yes, all students must have health insurance? For more information about fees or waivers, please contact a statutory health insurance company like AOK. Further information is also available from the information about allocation procedures in programmes with restricted admission. (page 13, German only)
- What criteria are used to select applicants for admission-restricted degree programmes?
Please note sections 2.1 and 2.3.2 of the information about allocation procedures in programmes with restricted admission [German only].
- Does FHWS carry out the selection procedure in admission-restricted bachelor's programmes?
In admission-restricted bachelor's programmes, the decision on admission or rejection of an applicant is made by Hochschulstart, which is the provider of the central application portal.
- What are the admission requirements for studying at FHWS?
Please see the pages providing general information regarding your application.
- When can I apply for programmes that start in the winter semester?
You will find the application period for the winter semester in our online application portal APPLY.
- When can I apply for programmes that start in the summer semester?
You will find the application period for the summer semester in our online application portal APPLY.
- Which degree programmes start in the winter or summer semester?
An overview of the start of our degree programmes is available from the information sheet for applicants on page 1 [German only].
Can't find the answer to your question?
Try the FAQ about application and enrolment collected by our Department of Student Affairs (HSST):
If you are an applicant from abroad, please also refer to the FAQ page of our International Office:
FAQ FHWS International