Institute for Biomedical Engineering
The Institute for Biomedical Engineering was founded on 1 October 2011 as "In-Institute" at FHWS. It forms part of the Competence Centre Mainfranken at the department in Schweinfurt.
The institute's applied research in the field of biomedical engineering and the innovative new and further development of biomedical engineering systems for diagnosis and therapy are closely intertwined with the education of highly qualified high-tech specialists with an interdisciplinary way of thinking for the future-oriented technology of biomedical engineering. In close co-operation with the biomedical engineering industry, hospitals, medical specialist practices and public research facilities, hardware set-ups and software environments for medical diagnosis and therapy systems are currently being developed for use in the following fields of application:
- Non-invasive electroscopic cardiovascular diagnostics
- Breathing gas diagnostics for internal medicine and for the early diagnosis of tumour diseases
- Fluorescence diagnostics in skin cancer diagnostics
- Photodynamic therapy for skin cancer therapy
- Development of human-machine-interfaces to support people with disabilities and to support the independence of elderly people (Ambient Assisted Living)
- Development of new magnetic-field-based imaging diagnostic systems with nanoparticles (Magnetic Particle Imaging)
- Hardware and software development of telemedical and telediagnostic applications
The Institute for Biomedical Engineering has a close in-house co-operation with the laboratories of Biomedical Engineering and Health Informatics in the faculty of Electrical Engineering. Students of the degree course Electrical Engineering, focus biomedical engineering, and students of the degree course Computer Science in Engineering Applications actively use the facilities of the Institute for Biomedical Engineering.
Institute for Medical Engineering Schweinfurt
University of Applied Sciences
Prof. Dr. Walter Kullmann
Phone +49 9721 940-768