The answers to our frequently asked questions are updated on a regular basis.

If you have any question that is not answered below, please do not hesitate to contact us using our contact form.

Deadlines for taking exams in the winter semester 2020/2021

Since we have received numerous inquiries as to how the deviation statutes for the summer semester 2020 affect the deadlines for taking (re-sits of) examinations, we would like to provide the following table. It shows you when you must or can take the next or first exam attempt.

You will also find two exemplary case descriptions to help you.
Please pay special attention to Case 7!

Overview of examination deadlines

Wi Se
Su Se
Wi Se
Su Se
Wi Se
Su Se
Wi Se
Su Se
Case 1: 1 2


Case 2: 1 2 3
Case 3: 1 2


Case 4: 1 2 3
Case 5: 1


2 3
Case 6: 1 2 3
Case 7:





Case 8: 1 2 3

Case 1: First attempt in the winter semester 2018/19

Case description:
A student fails an exam (1st attempt) for the first time in the winter semester 2018/19, and the re-sit (2nd attempt), which must be taken within six months, was failed in the summer semester 2019. Although an extension of the deadline for the second re-sit (= 3rd attempt to be taken within 12 months) was granted ex officio in accordance with Article 1 Section 2 of the deviation statutes, the student will take this exam (3rd attempt) in that semester and will again fail the exam.

In accordance with Article 1 Section 5 of the Deviation Statutes, examinations of the summer semester 2020 which have not been passed will not be counted as failed attempt for the number of attempts possible. The student has the opportunity to take this exam again in the winter semester 2020/21 as the 2nd re-sit (repeated 3rd attempt).

Case 7: First attempt in the summer semester 2020

Case description:
If a student takes an examination for the first time in the summer semester 2020 and fails, he or she still has three attempts left.

BUT: Since the first re-sit must be taken within 6 months, the student is in any case forced to take this examination (as the 1st attempt) in the winter semester 2020/21. This is stipulated by Article 36 Section 2 of the General Examination Regulations (APO).

Application & Enrolment

Do you accept certificates from other higher education institutions (grade certificates, mandatory consultations etc.)?

Yes, in general we do accept those certificates if they are recognised as being equal. Please upload them during the application process. We will contact you directly in case of questions.

I still don’t have my average grade. By when do I have to have it?

In principle, we need your average grade by the following dates: for bachelor’s programmes by 15 January or 27 July, for master’s programmes by 15 January or 15 August of the respective year of application. There may be different provisions for degree programmes with open admission. In this case, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Do I have to do a pre-study internship? By when do I have to do it and what are the requirements?

Each degree programme has its own provisions concerning the pre-study internship and its content requirements. For more information, please check the overview of FHWS degree programme profiles.

I applied for the VPD. By when do I have to upload it?

Your VPD (preliminary review documentation) has to be made available by 15 January or 27 July of the respective year of application. There may be exceptions for degree programmes with open admission. In this case, please contact us directly at helpdesk.hsst[at]fhws.de.

Can I apply for several degree programmes?

Yes, you can apply for multiple degree programmes at a time. If you are admitted to more than one, you can choose freely. Enrolment, however, is possible for only one degree programme. Please note: In case of degree programmes with restricted admission at hochschulstart.de, the number of applications is limited to twelve.

How can I upload more than 8 documents?

If you want to upload many documents, please put together multiple documents to one meaningful PDF file and choose an explicit name for it.

My CV is supposedly missing information and has been refused. What can I do?

Please take care to enter really all times you spent in secondary schools, periods of study at FHWS or other higher education institutions up to the time of the desired start of your studies. There should be no gaps! After that, submit your application again.

Will the enrolment procedure require my personal attendance?

When you have been admitted, the procedure for accepting the place as well as enrolling and providing all required information/documents takes place digitally via our online application portal APPLY.

The exact procedure is available from our page Information for 1st year students.

My status in APPLY doesn’t change. Is there an error?

We get numerous applications during the application period and all of them have to be reviewed. This may lead to extended processing times during the application period. If your status doesn’t change for more than two weeks, please contact us by e-mail to helpdesk.hsst[at]fhws.de and tell us the programme you applied for as well as your applicant number.

When will I receive the letter of admission?

After you submitted all necessary documents, you will receive the letter of admission in the application portal, in the case of programmes with restricted admission you will receive it via hochschulstart.de. When you accepted the offered study place, the letter of admission will be made available as a PDF file in the online application portal APPLY. There will be no postal delivery.

I can’t find the degree programme I studied previously in the list of programmes in the CV section of the online application portal.

If you can’t find the exact degree programme you studied previously, please select the one that is closely related to it. With the help of your transcript of records, we should be able to identify the exact degree programme.

Should I apply even though I do not yet have my school leaving certificate/diploma?

Absolutely! Please apply even if you do not yet have your school leaving certificate/diploma, otherwise the application deadline may expire. You can submit your certificate/diploma at a later date (by uploading it to the application portal).

How do I apply for admission as guest student?

Please submit a completely signed registration form for guest students (available in German only).
Please be sure to consult the Department of Student Affairs (HSST) first, as there are special conditions for guest students (e.g. no participation in exams etc.).

Do I need to provide language certificates for my degree programme and if so, which ones?

For detailed information, please check the provided information about language requirements.

I'd like to study two degree programmes at the same time, is this possible?

In principle, studying more than one programme is only possible for exceptional cases. In addition, the responsible faculty (or faculties) have to approve each individual case. For more information, please check the provided information about parallel studies (available only in German).

Does FHWS offer a semester ticket for public transport?

Yes, we do. For detailed information about the semester ticket for public transport, please check the web page on the FHWS Card.

Exams & Course of Study

I am ill during the examination period, what can I do?

If you have to meet a deadline for taking an exam, please submit the form Application for the Extension of Deadlines as well as a medical certificate immediately (within 1 or 2 days) to the Department of Student Affairs (HSST). Make sure that the medical certificates meets the requirements; see the application form for more information.

There is a grade missing or another error in my transcript of records, what can I do?

In case of errors in your transcript of records, please contact the Department of Student Affairs (HSST).

My personal data (address, name, etc.) has changed, where can I correct them?

You can change your contact information yourself anytime in the online student portal. If your name has changed, please contact the Department of Student Affairs (HSST) providing relevant proof.

I switched health insurance companies, where do I have to report this?

If you switched health insurance companies, the Department of Student Affairs (HSST) immediately needs a confirmation issued by your new health insurance company and related forms (which we will complete and return to the health insurance company).

I forgot to register for exams or haven’t fully completed the registration for exams.

Please contact the Department of Student Affairs (HSST) in due time. Your examination committee will decide upon late registrations.

When are my exam results published?

The publication date of exam results is specified in the academic calendar issued by the examination board. Delays for singular exams may happen as an exception.

I have to take the third attempt of an exam, what can I do in case of de-registration?

 If you face de-registration, please make sure to apply for another degree programme already before the exam (if you want to continue studying at FHWS). It is important that you have a plan B, as it is not possible to apply after the exam results have been published.

When do I have to take which exam and are there any deadlines?

You can find all examination deadlines in your study and examination regulations (SPO). If there is more than one version, only that version applies that has been valid at the time of at the start of your studies.
If you have further questions or need additional information, please contact the Department of Student Affairs (HSST). Please also note the regulation laid down in the deviation statute for the summer semester 2020.

How can I apply for a semester of leave?

Please fill out and submit the application for leave of absence (for family or other reasons) to the Department of Student Affairs (HSST).

I want to enter the practical semester / internship semester, what do I have to do?

Please check your study and examination regulations (SPO) to find out about the requirements. We only need a copy of your internship contract before the internship begins.

I want to improve my grade in a course I already passed, how can I apply for this?

In general, you have to apply for grade improvement by completing the application form for grade improvement in addition to your online exam registration. Please also note the information given in the application; subsequent grade application, i.e. after the online exam registration, is not possible.

I had an accident at FHWS or on the way to/from it, what can I do?

If you had an accident (at FHWS, at an FHWS event, or on the way to FHWS or home), please complete the accident report for students (available only in German) and submit it to the Department of Student Affairs (HSST). In case of an accident on the way to/from FHWS, please also submit the questionnaire for commuting accidents (available only in German).

Where do I get the proof of my achievements (Leistungsbescheinigung) for the BAföG office?

The BAföG office will provide all necessary forms and informs about the required periods to be proven. We are happy to assist you in filling out the forms and giving the required information. The form is also available as download in our form centre.

How can I give someone a proxy authorisation (to pick up documents or obtain information)?

By providing an informal written authorization, you can send your proxy to pick up documents for you. One exception: Enrolment as well as picking up your FHWS card is only possible in person.

I am pregnant, does anyone have to know?

Information as well as the form to notify us of your pregnancy and explanations in English on how to complete it, are available in our form centre.

How can I register my bachelor’s thesis?

In order to register your bachelor’s thesis, you will first need a professor supervising your thesis. Together with this supervisor, you can complete the form to register your thesis which is provided by your faculty. It has to be signed by your supervisor as well as yourself. The requirements have to be met in accordance with your study and examination regulations (SPO). The registration form has to be submitted generally before you start work on your thesis (about 2 weeks before).

Where do I find information about courses and contact hours of my lecturers?

Comprehensive information about all courses as well as contact information of your lecturers is available on the pages of your faculty. The Department of Student Affairs (HSST) does not have any information about that.

What do I have to do if I am officially quarantined due to COVID-19 during the exam period?

If you have been officially quarantined by the local health authority, please send this information immediately to gesundheitsschutz[at]fhws.de.

If you are in quarantine during the official examination period:

  1. You should cancel your exam registration for face-to-face exams taking place within the next 14 days: Submit the application for cancellation of exam registrations and, if necessary, an application for the extension of deadlines. With this you avoid to be awarded the grade "non-sufficient" (Fristfünf).
  2. You can cancel your exam registration for face-to-face exams taking place after the next 14 days: You can cancel your registration for an exam without giving any reasons.  For this, please use the application for the cancellation of exam registrations.

Quarantine ordered by authorities is generally recognised by the examination committees as a reason for a (deadline/examination) failure for which you are not responsible and thus you will not suffer any disadvantages under examination law.

Graduation, De-registration & Fees

I will graduate this semester, do I have to re-enrol?

If you can foresee that you finish your studies at the end of the semester, please do not re-enrol. In case of unforeseen delay, you can re-enrol by bank transfer immediately at the start of the next semester.

After the end of my studies, how long do I stay enrolled?

You will stay enrolled until the end of the semester, even if you graduated already at the start of the semester.
However, you may submit a special request form to be de-registered earlier. Usually, it is no problem to stay enrolled until the end of the semester, even if you are already employed.

By when does the last grade have to be published so I can finish my studies by the end of the semester?

You have successfully completed your studies when the degree grade is published in the online student portal with legal effect. Please take into account that until the publication of your degree grade, there will also be time needed for assessing your thesis, determining the grade of your thesis by the examination committee and calculating your degree grade.
Generally speaking, your degree grade should be available at the Department of Student Affairs (HSST) about three weeks before the end of the semester to enable graduation by the end of the semester. In case your bachelor’s thesis is the last piece of coursework you have to deliver for your graduation, please discuss this with your supervising professor.

When and how will I get my degree certificate?

After your degree grade is published in the online student portal, we will contact you soon (usually by e-mail) about picking up your certificate.

How is the degree grade calculated?

Your degree grade is calculated in accordance with the appendix to your study and examination regulations taking into account the specified weighting factors.

I applied for master’s studies at another higher education institution, where can I get a certificate of my preliminary degree grade?

In this case, please contact your HSST contact person.

How can I get a confirmation of my studies for the German pension insurance fund (Rentenversicherung)?

Please complete the form provided by the German Rentenversicherung including your degree programme and submit it to the Department of Student Affairs (HSST).

How can I de-register from FHWS?

The de-registration form is available in our form centre. Please note that de-registering retroactively is not possible.

Where can I get an overview of my payments to the Studentenwerk?

An overview of your payments to the Studentenwerk is available on request from the Department of Student Affairs (HSST).

When do I get a refund of my payments to the Studentenwerk?

If a refund of already paid semester fees can be made in accordance with the statutes of the Studentenwerk, this will officially be initiated by us. A special application for this is not required.