The FHWS Card
The Julius Maximilian University of Würzburg, the University of Music Würzburg and the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt introduced a multifunction card with joint functions in co-operation with the Studentenwerk Würzburg in the winter term of 2011/12.
The multifunction card combines the following functions:
- Student ID card
- Library card (FHWS and university library)
- Electronic purse of the Studentenwerk Würzburg (formerly canteen card) (means of cashless payment)
- Electronic access to the participating institutions
- Semester ticket VVM (only for students of the department in Würzburg)
- Print and copy card
Advertisers: Sparkasse Mainfranken, Mainpost, WVV
The chip card contains a DESFire chip (RFID) and thus is a non-contact card. It does not require any contact strips.
The validity period of the card is printed on its front side and is electronically saved on the chip.
The validity period and the semester ticket will be printed on the thermo read write strip (TRW) on the front side of the card.The imprinting process is carried out by validation machines. At the beginning of each term, the card must be validated at one of these validation machines.
Once the card has been inserted, the machine will first check the validity of the card, then scan the background system and imprint the TRW strip with the new validity date and the semester ticket. The latter is only applicable for students of the department in Würzburg. The machine will simultaneously update the data on the chip.
The process takes about 2-3 seconds / card
Locations of and access to the validation machines
Until further notice only the following validtion machines can be accessed
- Münzstraße 12, in the foyer between room M.-1.07 and the Sparkasse lecture room
- access possible from Monday through Friday, 08:00-10:00 and 16:00-18:00
- Main entrance Ignaz-Schön-Straße 11
- access possible from Monday through Friday, 08:00-10:00 and 16:00-18:00
Phone +49 931 3511-8114
Functions of the Card
The new chip card identifies you as a student of our university. All students must update the validation date (lower third of the chip card) at one of the validation points each semester.
Students should carry their student ID cards with them at all times when they are on campus. It serves as means of identification e.g. when taking an exam.
The FHWS card also serves as library card. The barcode imprinted on the card represents the library number which is also electronically saved on the chip.
The chip inside the FHWS-Card
The card contains an electronic purse of the Studentenwerk Würzburg, which can be topped up with money at the established top-up machines (e.g. at the canteens).
From now on, this virtual purse will serve as purse for our university.
For topping up your card, please insert it into the top-up machine, choose the amount € 10-20-30 or any other amount and when asked, please insert your debit card. Your electronic purse on the chip card will immediately be credited with the equivalent amount.
Note: Topping up your card with a large amount of money is not advisable! In case of loss, the electronic money is lost as well! *
(*the Terms and Conditions of the Studentenwerk apply)
At a top-up machine you can transfer money onto your card to use it for cashless payment. Apart from the cash-operated top-up machines, there is also one debit card-operated top-up machine available at Sanderheinrichsleitenweg. The top-up machines are provided by the Studentenwerk.
Locations of the top-up machines
- Sanderring: Canteen at Studentenhaus
- Röntgenring: Canteen Röntgenring Würzburg
- Sanderheinrichsleitenweg: Cafeteria
- Hubland: Canteen at Hubland
- Schweinfurt, Campus I: Canteen
Locations of mini cash points:
- Schweinfurt, Campus I: Post room
- Schweinfurt, Campus I: Library
- Würzburg, Sanderring: Library
- Würzburg, Sanderring: Switchboard (WISO building)
- Würzburg, Röntgenring: ITSC - Room A.308
- Würzburg, SHL: Deanary FIW - Room I.3.38
The new buildings in Schweinfurt and Würzburg use electronic locking systems. When entering the buildings or passing the barriers at the parking grounds, the right of access is transferred onto the memory chip of your card. This process takes about 1 second. Additionally, you will find special reading devices installed on each floor where you can activate your right of access.
According to the specifications of your right of access you then can access the respective rooms with your FHWS card.
This is applicable for all the participating universities and the Studentenwerk - e.g. the locking system of the Studentenwerk can also be transferred onto your card.
For students studying in Würzburg or Schweinfurt the FHWS Card also serves as a semester ticket.
The semester ticket for students is not available in free sale. When enrolling or re-enrolling at the university in Würzburg or Schweinfurt, the students must pay a fee (Würzburg: € 74,50, Schweinfurt: € 30.00) and will receive a semester ticket in return, which is valid for six months. In order to keep the costs as inexpensive as possible, a joint participation of all students at the FHWS in Würzburg and in Schweinfurt is neccessary. This is the reason why students, who have no use for the ticket also have to pay the amount when enrolling or re-enrolling.
During the validation process a valdiation note will be imprinted on the validation strip. This imprint labels the FHWS card as your ticket. Without this imprint, the FHWS card does not serve as ticket for transportation! The semester ticket is not available in free sale and can only be used by students respectively in Würzburg or in Schweinfurt depending on on which is the department of their studies.
Semestertickets for Students studying in Würzburg
The semester ticket is valid for students studying in Würzburg for the entire tariff zone of the VVM tariff plan. Connecting rides are allowed.
Semestertickets for Students studying in Schweinfurt
The semester ticket is valid for students studying in Schweinfurt for the entire tariff zone of the busses of the Stadtwerke Schweinfurt GmbH Journey Planner (in German).
FHWS introduced a electronic payment system for copying and printing (ICPrint). The system replaced the independent systems used for the copying and printing systems up until then. Thanks to this system, you can use the credit of your electronic ourse. You do not have to go through the trouble of transferring money onto your separate printing account.
- Please keep your card in a solid card case. It is not advisable to keep the card inside your wallet - the card might get bended out of shape. In this case, the ring-shaped antenna or the chip could get damaged. Diagonal bending can be very damaging.
- Do not expose the card to high temperatures (of over 60° celcius)
(extremely critical e.g. glove compartment and on top of the car dashboard panel). The validity date can become illegible or the card can lose its shape.
- Chip cards, which have been exposed to high electromagnetic fields (e.g. amplifiers, speakers at the club) also run the risk of being damaged or destroyed.
- Should the card become unusable due to improper handling, a fee of € 20.00 will be charged. Please treat your FHWS-Card with care.
Note: In the event of loss, the money is lost as well.
The card is a chip card, which is based on MIFARE DESFire technology. On the card and when communicating, current cryptographic algorithms (3DES) are being used.
The University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt saves the data in line with the administration of students. Regarding the external use, e.g. means of cashless payment (canteen), the respective institutions can only read the data saved on the card.
Each card has its own card serial number, which is being saved in the system for all so-called cash point transactions. In addition, only a personal code number (student, employee, guest) and a university code number (Studentenwerk, University of Würzburg, University of Music, University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt) are saved on the card.
The Studentenwerk or the University of Würzburg has no access to personal data (e.g. name, address, student ID number) and does not need this information either.
On the premises of the University of Applied Sciences Würzburg-Schweinfurt, access data will not be registered.
The card contains the following data:
Imprinted on the card:
- Surname, name
- Student ID number
- FHWS library user number as bar code
- FHWS library user number in plaintext
- Chip card serial number
- Validity date (varies)
- Semester ticket (varies)
Electronically saved data:
- Chip card number
- Electronic purse of the Studentenwerk Würzburg
- Personal code number for the electronic purse (student, employee, guest)
- Validity date
- FH library user number
- Right of access
- Complimentary credit management for printing / copying payment